NordEcoJam 2022: Materials
The materials below are not mandatory reading/viewing, but are rather provided in case you would like to learn more about a particular thing before joining NordEcoJam 2022. For example, if you have never studied game design, the videos under Game Design Fundamentals can you provide you with some key terms and concepts; and if this is your first time taking part in a game jam, the article by Hanna Wirman offers a good introduction.
Game jams: what and how?
- Game Jams by Hanna Wirman (an article in the Encyclopedia of Ludic Terms): a concise introduction to what game jams are.
Game design fundamentals
- Gameplay design (a 7-minute video lecture by Mikhail Fiadotau): a basic introduction to key terms in game design such as game mechanics and dynamics, core loop, game economy, and a few others
- Meaningful choices and player agency (an audio lecture by Victor Bankler): an overview of how to make your gameplay more engaging by utilizing meaningful player choices
Games and/for/about sustainability
- The Environmental Game Design Playbook by IGDA Climate Special Interest Group provides a systematic framework for designing environmentally themed games and facilitating change in the game industry.
- From Cultural Sustainability to Culture of Sustainability: Preservation of Games in the Context of Digital Materiality (2020 conference paper by Maria Garda et al.) outlines how the concept of sustainability extends beyond environmental to broader cultural considerations.
- Playing 4 The Planet YouTube channel: a series of videos by the UN’s Playing 4 The Planet Alliance, covering a variety of topics relating to climate change, environmental sustainability, and gaming.